In the late 1990s, the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department’s Oral Health Program recognized a growing need to draw support from all community groups to advocate for better oral health in the greater Pierce County community. In 1997, the Pierce County Oral Health Coalition was launched. Today the coalition’s membership includes representatives from more than a dozen organizations promoting health and oral health in Pierce County.
Mission Statement: The Pierce County Oral Health Coalition is a represented community-based group working to promote, advocate, and collaborate for the optimal oral health for all Pierce County Residents.
- Increase community education and awareness of the importance of oral health for Pierce County residents of all ages.
- Maintain alliance with and support Washington State Oral Health Coalition goals.
- Establish and promote goals specific to Pierce County.
- Universal access for oral health care for all Pierce County residents, emphasizing diversity and health equity.
- Increase access to oral health services by addressing access to full utilization of existing services.
- Promote expanding resources where there is a demonstrated need.
- Advocate for and promote oral health intervention strategies which are based on evidence-based scientific principles.
- Create partnerships with public, private, and community-based stakeholders, and decision-makers regarding oral health principles.
- Encourage creative approaches to oral health issues affecting our community.
- Accomplish our mission through teamwork and continuous evaluative processes and improvement.